Sunday, June 11, 2017

Neuro Note 5


For my final neuro note, I decided to watch a TedTalk called, “Protecting the brain against concussion” by Kim Gorgens. This is a talk regarding how to better protect our brain against concussions and other head related injuries. Kim Gorgens, a neuropsychologist, gives an informative speech about the significance that brain injuries are occurring in children and teens and makes the argument of the importance of protecting our brains particularly in the use of helmets. Although we cannot always protect our family members from brain trauma, it is important to be aware of brain injuries and take preventative steps. Gorgens states that parents should study up on the signs and symptoms of concussions, speak up to legislative and couches about preventative head wear, and to suit up to prevent a brain injury. In this talk, she says, “The only way to prevent a bad outcome is to prevent the first injury from happening.” To me, that was a very powerful statement that I think should be reinforced more in child rearing. After learning about the different ABIs and the harsh possibilities of coma outcomes, I have been really interested in brain injury and development, which led me to pick this TedTalk for my last neuro note. I think Kim Gorgens shares great points in this video in emphasizing the importance of helmets. We can truly never be careful enough in regards to the safety of our brain. About 4 million kids under the age of 14 are concussed per year and that is only one’s seen in the Emergency Department. It is a common misconception that a concussion refers to the lack of consciousness, however, the definition of a concussion is the change of consciousness which includes feeling foggy, dizzy, ear ringing, or even just a change in a person’s attitude. After listening to this TedTalk, it makes me think more about the safety in kids playing contact sports. I think an advanced protocol needs to be put in place to determine if a child should be able to go back onto the field after a head blow. I think this would prevent brain injuries and side effects later in life. Gorgens also talks about how the proposed law for all people under the age of 18 should wear a helmet when cycling was recently rejected. To me, this is baffling and makes me think that the average person may not have a clear understanding of just how detrimental a head injury could be to person’s life and their future. I think, as OTs spreading awareness about preventative head injuries is important for our scope of practice.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kim_gorgens_protecting_the_brain_against_concussion

No comments:

Post a Comment