Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Post Group Facilitation Reflection #2

On February 21, I led a group called "Communication that 'Works". I followed my written plan closely and managed to go slightly over the time that I had expected. I began the group by introducing myself, welcoming everyone back, and stating today's topic During today's group, my goal was to facilitate positive communication skills to promote occupational performance in the workplace as well as identify different communication styles and how to relate with people with different styles than you. Upon hearing that my group would be held in the Gross Motor Lab, I was nervous at first since it was something different, but decided to plan to get there an hour early to properly set up my group setting. I was fortunate that another class did not have the time slot an hour before me. To begin our warm-up activity, members of the group partnered up and one person was blindfolded.  Next, they took turns guiding each other through an obstacle course only using visual cues. It was interesting to see/hear the different tactics group members used to guide their partners. Whether someone describe a step as a "scootch", big step/little step, right/left, or "follow my voice" each pair was different and unique displaying their different communication styles. After each person had a chance to lead their partner through the obstacle, everyone shared their personal experience with the warm-up actvity. Since the obstacle course was for grad students, I graded the activity up by putting hurtles to step over as well playing an extremely annoying youtube video called "office noise" as distractions.
After everyone shared, everyone took a communication style self-assessment that related them to a type of bird. Since this was a quiz centered around communication style in the work place, many stated they would have been different 'birds' had this been communication in their personal lives. It was interesting to hear everyone share their strengths and weaknesses. I was so excited that everyone shared personal experiences. They all have had employer encounters in the past all centered around communication. If I led this group again in this same context, I think it would be interesting to take this quiz twice. The first one the same as today (work centered), but the second one around their personal communication style to compare how they communicate differently in different contexts (maybe change my FoR to PEOP for that group).
After leading my first group, I am very pleased with how it went. Everyone in the group participated throughout, as well as had ways to relate making it an easy flowing group. I didn't end up having to ask some of my generalizing and application reflection questions because the conversations progressed into a lot of my topics. I am glad I got to class extra early to arrange the obstacle course as well as create a table with the raised mats for everyone to sit at so that it felt more organized. I am also glad I reminded everyone to keep safety in mind when completing the obstacle course, so no one got hurt. However, I think I  should have explained the obstacle course activity better before sending everyone into the hall with their blindfold (explain start/finish places). I think I displayed appropriate verbal and nonverbal communication when group members shared personal experiences. I enjoyed leading today's group and look forward to other opportunities like this in the future!









No comments:

Post a Comment