Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Neuro Note 3: Muhammad Ali

When I was looking at some of the options to do my neuro note on, I saw a People Magazine article, "Muhammad Ali's Eldest Daughter Shares Memories of Her Dad and Hope for Those with Parkinson's: 'Attitude Is Everything'". After already learning about Parkinson's Disease, I was excited to read more into the legendary Muhammad Ali's case specifically. I knew that he had PD, but had no idea about his type of care or factors that played into his health status, which is why I chose to write a blog on this topic specifically. This article about Muhammad was given from the perspective of his oldest daughter, Maryum Ali. 

Mayryum, or May May, gave an insightful view of caring for a loved one with Parkinson's. She speaks about how much being engaged in activities that make you happy is important for someone with this disease. She also talks about how attitude strongly affects the patient along with the patient's knowledge of his or her disease.

 After reading her article, I thought to myself, "Patients with PD could really benefit from OT!" OT's could provide this meaningful activities to their clients that in return help give them give positive attitudes. I also thought about the OT's role in educating the client, as well as the caregiver about the disease and what to expect through the different stages of PD. May May stated, "Once my father began to understand the disease and the family did as well, everyone was happier." To me, this just solidifies everything we talked about in class as far needing to inform the caregiver and client. I went to the National Parkinsons Foundation's page and read an article, "Special Challenges of Caring for Someone with PD" to further my curiosity. This site talked about being realistic with the client and caregiver, and I think that is exactly what May Mary and the rest of the Ali family would have appreciated knowing early on.



 http://www.parkinson.org/understanding-parkinsons/caring-for-someone-with-parkinsons/special-challenges-of-caring-for-someone-with-parkinsons

http://people.com/celebrity/muhammad-alis-eldest-daughter-maryum-shares-memories/

No comments:

Post a Comment