Wednesday, April 5, 2017

4/5 Daily Challenge

Although this is only our second Neurological Aspects class, I am so fascinated with all of the material that has been presented to us this far. Fortunately, I have not personally known anyone with an TBI, but after the past few classes I have realized just how sudden they can drastically change a person's life. The little I do know about TBI's have been primarily about the person with the diagnoses, rather from the family members perspective. After listening to the podcast, "Help me remember", it gave me the point of view of the family's side of the TBI. For me, it was absolutely heart breaking listening to her husband and children's testimony of the everyday struggles and obstacles resulting from the brain injury. I feel like in clinical settings we often just look at the patient's everyday struggles, so hearing the other side was really sad and an eyeopener. I know there is not a cure from TBI's, but it makes me wonder what kind of therapy would an occupational therapist due with Dawn? Would we work more on improving her memory and coping skills? Or, would we work more toward setting reminders and organized calendars? It also makes me wonder what happens to people that do not have such a broad support system like Dawn does.

No comments:

Post a Comment