Monday, April 24, 2017

Lifelong Learner


After being in OT school for just a few short months I have learned that occupational therapist are lifelong learners, but what does that really mean? When I first heard the phrase, I thought it just referred to formal education such as going on to get my doctorate later in life.  Being a lifelong learner does not mean just going to school to get another degree, it’s continuing education voluntarily.  This could be for personal interests or for a specific job. After talking about this topic more in class, I have realized it is pertinent for out professions to continue our education. In order to be the best practitioner I can be, I must be up to date with new therapy techniques and the research behind it to best treat my clients. Not only is it important for our practice setting, it is also outlined in AOTA for OTs to commit to being lifelong learners. I am so excited to be in a profession that puts such emphasis on being successful practitioners in treating our client with the utmost support!

No comments:

Post a Comment