Sunday, April 23, 2017

Me Before You


As I sat down to write my first Neuro Note, I first skimmed the suggestions that my professor provided for my class when I saw the movie, Me Before You. This was a movie that I had seen when it first came to theatres and had never really thought about the neurological aspect of one of the main character’s paralysis.
Me Before You is a movie about quirky, optimistic woman, Lou, who takes on a new job as a caregiver to Will Traynor to help financially support her family. Will Traynor is a wealthy, cynical man whom became paraplegia after a devastating motorcycle accident. Although he was pessimistic at first, he soon enjoyed Lou’s company and began to look forward to her visits. Before Lou arrived, he did not have any goals or social interactions. She started taking him out in public, planning trips, activities, and learning about his overall interests. It was amazing the affect it had on his mental health. Will desperately needed a motivator and someone to encourage him to still participate in meaningful activities. To me, this movie really portrays just how much social interaction can affect someone’s mental state. Lou’s encouragement and care for his well being really made an impact on his life. Will did not have an occupational therapist, but it makes me wonder how the quality of his life could have been enhanced had he been introduced to OT in an outpatient setting.
After doing some research in occupational therapy for people with paralysis I think it could have impacted his life drastically. An occupational therapist could have helped him make goals, develop routines, and encourage community engagement. An OT could even provide opportunities to educate in peer resources and self-advocacy. Lou had a lot of occupational therapist qualities about her and I think that has a lot to do to the role she played in his life.
After writing this blog, I now realize how important social interaction is and a better understanding of an OT’s role in providing therapy to a person who is paraplegic.

Moyes, J. (2012). Me before you. New York: Pamela Dorman Books.

Occupational Therapy and the Care of Individuals With Spinal Cord Injury. (n.d.). Retrieved April 23, 2017, from http://www.aota.org/About-Occupational-Therapy/Professionals/RDP/spinal-cord-injury.aspx

1 comment: