Thursday, April 13, 2017

Health Promotion


The American Occupational Therapy Association’s Vision 25 states, “Occupational therapy maximizes health, well-being and quality of life for all people populations and communities through effective solutions that facilitate participation in every day live.” I think as a future OT it is essential to be aware of the profession’s goal and do my best to try to work towards achieving that purpose. In order to achieve this goal, I think OTs needs to be more involved in community-based settings to be able to reach out to all populations and try to educate people about health. I did not realize the general lack of knowledge about health until I begin leading exercise and health promotion groups. Many people in my groups said that they couldn’t exercise because they could not afford a gym. They were baffled when I showed them different chair exercises and ways to work out in the home. This made me realize how important education in health literacy is and how much it is needed in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment