Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Universal Design


After numerous courses over the years, I believe I am plenty familiar with the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it gives people with disabilities the right to have equal access to and in public places. However, I never thought why can’t there be a universal design that allows everyone accessibility? Before our class a few weeks ago, I was unaware what universal design truly meant. Universal design is, “The design of products and environments to be usable by all people.” This improves access for all people, with and without disabilities.  After learning about this design, it makes me wonder why here in the US, we don’t go more toward this type of settings in our schools and businesses.  In public places where the entrance is a great big staircase, they meet ADA regulations through a ramp in the back where people who are in a wheelchair have to enter. The majority of the backs of buildings I have been have been gross and typically where the trash goes out. Are these owners implying that in the back with the trash is where people with disabilities belong? I think as a country, we should aim more towards universal designs rather then just meeting ADA standards.

2 comments: